Monday, April 12, 2010

New Rules

This blog has been running for about a week, and during that short time, I've been re-thinking a few things.

The main reason that I wanted to write and print news about Portuguese Bend, on an official web site or a blog, was to cut through the rumor grapevine and provide factual information to residents of the Bend.

One of the differences between news and opinion, is that news stories always have a source for the information in the story. It may be a city official, a citizen who viewed a traffic accident, a student with a problem...someone who is willing to be quoted as a source of the information that is printed. In obtaining news about the Bend, whether about overflowing sewers, upcoming Environmental Impact Reports, or Mr. York's activities, I have tried to talk to city officials, or PBCA Board members, or whoever could provide me with relevant facts.

With that in mind, it hardly seems fair to post rumors from anonymous sources in the blog comments.

With that in mind, from now on, I will not publish anonymous posts.

On the other hand, I understand that sometimes, readers have information that they think should be out there, but they are reluctant to sign their names, for fear of some sort of retaliation. I will, therefore, follow up on any information you care to submit via email to leetwid@yahoo.com. If I can find a legitimate source who is willing to be quoted, to verify the information you have submitted, and if I think that it would be good for Portuguese Bend residents to have this information, I will post it in a blog item.

If you have questions about this, please feel free to email or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment